/etc/yum/protected.d/ content thwarts yum update/upgrade

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 1 16:51:57 UTC 2012

I have one package I want to keep from being replaced, so I created a file in
protected.d/ according to
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html-single/Software_Management_Guide/
(couldn't find a newer than 14), which is about the only doc I could find
addressing protecting packages. Quick search on Bugzilla found nothing
searching for protected.d/. Is it not possible to yum update/upgrade if one
(non-essential) package is protected this way, and not have to specify
individual packages to upgrade? --skip-broken doesn't help. Update/upgrade
simply halts after listing packages with 'Error: Trying to remove
"<protected-package>", which is protected'.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/