/etc/yum/protected.d/ content thwarts yum update/upgrade

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Apr 2 01:41:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 07:17:51PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> >> exclude=grub
>
> >You do not want obsoletes, dependencies and the like. Try instead
>
> >  exclude=grub*
>
> This did pretty well. When upgrade finished (upwards of 150
> packages), there remained three packages with two different versions
> installed. I yum removed each of the older. Also, kernel would not
> upgrade due to failed dependance on grubby. I removed the asterisk,
> did 'yum upgrade grubby', then tried 'yum upgrade' again, which
> again produced the protected grub obstacle.

In such case you can be more specific and do

exclude=grub-* grub2*

and this will not match 'grubby'.  yum is using "shell patterns" and not
"regular expresssions". Besides nothing really stops you from doing

  yum --exclude='this*' --exclude='that' .....

picking up suitable patterns to fit your needs. AFAIK there is no
option to explicitely "unexclude" some package.

   Michal