F17 vs. Pentium 4

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Apr 2 21:58:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 11:30:47AM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>> >
>> >AFAIK 'askmethod' is no longer valid.  Use repo=...
>>
>> Arrrg.  Syntax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> kernel /isolinux17/vmlinuz repo=hd:LABEL=/home1:/iso17/
>> good?
>
> I really do not know if "LABEL=/home1" device specification will
> work in this context.  It might but that would depend on what really
> happens in initrd.img you are using.  Try and see.
>
> I prefer to be explicit in such situations, i.e.
>
>   kernel (hd0,2)/isolinux17/vmlinuz ...
>   initrd (hd0,2)/....
>
> but if 'root' is set correctly this should not matter.
>
> It is easy to experiment with all these details from a 'grub>' prompt
> while booting.  Your interactive adjustments are not permanent but
> this is not that important here.

It would be if I were that good a typist.
If I were that good a typist this thread
would have been named F16 vs Pentium 4.

'Twas suggested to me that I make an F16 install image with a new kernel,
but that would involve a "forward version".
In context, 'twas fairly obvious what that meant,
but I couldn't find a clue how to do it.

> In any case I do not have a corresponding iso image on hand so I cannot
> go through the whole thing but using vmlinuz and initrd.img from F17 and
> booting like the above I am getting at least a dracut debug shell prompt
> (after expected here "no suitable images" complaints).

I tried it with /dev and still got crap.

I think it's time for me to give up.
Eventually, I'll replace my DVD burner.