New criterion for updates.img using

Adam Williamson awilliam at
Wed Apr 4 01:42:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 14:58 +0100, Petr Schindler wrote:
> I've added new criterion to beta release criteria. Tha alpha criterion
> has already been there (I proposed it in another thread). You can find
> changes here [1].
> [1]
> On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 17:51 +0100, Petr Schindler wrote:
> > So I propose alpha criterion:
> >
> > "The installer must be able to use an [[Anaconda/Updates|installer
> > update image]] retrieved from HTTP url"
> >
> > And beta criterion:
> >
> > "The installer must be able to use an [[Anaconda/Updates|installer
> > update image]] retrieved from removable media, remote installation
> > source and HTTP url"
> >
> > I think, that this should be beta for testing purposes. It will be
> > easier to test patches, so it would be better if it worked earlier
> > than
> > later. But that's only my opinion. If you have something against it,
> > please, reply to this thread.

At the emergency blocker review today, we (present - me, tflink,
robatino, bcl, rbergeron, nirik) re-discussed this and came to a
consensus that it should be a final criterion, not a Beta one. See the
discussion here:

starting at 23:18:35 .

Basically when it turned out both of these were broken in Beta RC2,
no-one really thought it was serious enough to block the Beta release.
In practice, we almost always use http/ftp for updates.img retrieval
when we're actually doing Alpha/Beta testing. We think it's worth making
sure this works for final in the case when you need to deploy
updates.img on non-network-connected machines, but it really doesn't
seem critical for a Beta.

So we agreed to move the criterion to Final, and reject the two bugs as
Beta blockers.

I'll update the criteria and the validation matrix template.

IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | adamwfedora