New criterion for updates.img using

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 03:43:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 19:21 -0700, Dan Mashal wrote:
> Good job guys. I just wonder why use the updates-testing repo in the
> first place? I realize "it's a beta".. but might as well just run
> rawhide at that point. Amirite?

That's nothing to do with this thread. We're talking about this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates

You can provide an 'updates image' for anaconda when installing, to fix
bugs in the installer.

As far as repos go - we want updates-testing enabled for pre-release
testers. We need people to be using those packages, it's most of the
point of having people test pre-releases. The updates-testing/stable
split in pre-releases is not really there to provide a 'stable user
experience', it's more about allowing us to handle freezes to spin
release builds. It provides us with a mechanism by which developers can
keep building packages while a freeze is in effect, without disturbing
the frozen package set we're trying to stabilize for release.

updates-testing for a branched pre-release is significantly different to
Rawhide, especially as the release time gets closer and closer. It
certainly wouldn't be acceptable to, for instance, stick a major new GTK
+ build into updates-testing for F17 right now, for instance. There have
already been some pretty big changes landed on Rawhide that are not in
updates-testing for F17 - a new Boost, a new httpd, those are just the
couple that spring to mind.