F17 vs. Pentium 4

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Fri Apr 6 01:17:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2012/04/05 16:46 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:
>
>> My most recent attempt to install F17, used the following grub stanza:
>> title Felix17
>>   	find /felix17/vmlinuz
>>   	pause find /felix17/vmlinuz
>>   	kernel (hd0,2)/felix17/vmlinuz
> repo=http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/fedora/development/17/i386/os noapic noacpi
> nolapic
>>   	pause kernel
>>   	initrd (hd0,2)/felix17/initrd.img
>>   	pause initrd (hd0,2)/felix17/initrd.img
>
>> The kernel and initrd images come from
>> http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/fedora/development/17/i386/os/isolinux .
>
>> After the last pause, it reboots as if I had hit the reset button.
>
> Seems the expected result of there being no /felix17/initrd.img or
> /felix17/vmlinuz on the 3rd partition on the first BIOS HD. Do these in fact
> exist? The find command should tell you where it found files by those names
> in the following form:
>
> 	(hd0,1)
> 	(hd0,2)
> 	(hd0,5)

It did, (hd0,2).

> without any need for a pause command.

The pause commands are so I can tell how
far booting gets before it craps out on me.
'Tis annoying to watch what little I might
understand disappear before I can read it
or even tell where it came from.

> Similar for the kernel command (and the initrd command):
>
> 	[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x####, size=0x######]

If this was there, I didn't see it.
What is the significance?  Google has not helped.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily