F17 vs. Pentium 4

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 6 02:02:01 UTC 2012

On 2012/04/05 20:17 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

>>>  After the last pause, it reboots as if I had hit the reset button.

>>  Seems the expected result of there being no /felix17/initrd.img or
>>  /felix17/vmlinuz on the 3rd partition on the first BIOS HD. Do these in fact
>>  exist? The find command should tell you where it found files by those names
>>  in the following form:

>>  	(hd0,1)
>>  	(hd0,2)
>>  	(hd0,5)

> It did, (hd0,2).

>>  without any need for a pause command.

> The pause commands are so I can tell how
> far booting gets before it craps out on me.
> 'Tis annoying to watch what little I might
> understand disappear before I can read it
> or even tell where it came from.

>>  Similar for the kernel command (and the initrd command):

>>  	[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x####, size=0x######]

> If this was there, I didn't see it.

I just checked with F16. It's Grub Legacy produces no such response,
surprisingly (or maybe not), considering openSUSE's and (IIRC) Mandriva's and
all (AFAIK) distros' Grub Legacys (which support filename extensions no
longer than 3 characters for FAT filesystem compatibility) not derived from
RedHat do.

> What is the significance?  Google has not helped.

Maybe it's time to dispense with the script (menu.lst/grub.conf). When the
Grub menu appears, exit to the grub> prompt and execute the individual
commands [help,find,root,kernel,initrd,boot,reboot] as you're inclined to see
messages without proceeding to another step until you're ready.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/