is the name ok (my reply a bit long)

Rick Stevens rstevens at corp.alldigital.com
Fri Apr 6 18:54:19 UTC 2012

On 04/06/2012 11:36 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 06/04/12 18:24, george2 wrote:
> of the release name will not offend women, parents,
>> and many who are spiritual or profess a religion?
>>
>> No mater how liberal a guy I might be, this expresses a concern for how
>> open source might be perceived by the general public.
>> Even if these pictures and words were done in fun, isn't the association
>> now caustic.
>>

> The only way to do that is not to have a name.
> Because there will always be someone to get offended.
>
> At times some common sense has to be used.

Putting in my two cents (pence, 5% of a euro, whatever), there is
absolutely no way to prevent someone from being offended because
people are so willing (in fact fervently wish) to _be_ offended.

Even the name "Fedora" can cause grief. In northern Africa I can see
someone whining "We've been slighted! Why didn't they name it 'Kepi'?"
Or in the middle east, "burnoose". You get the drift.

Chevrolet Motors had such an issue in the 60's with the "Nova". They
meant "bright star", but the joke in Mexico and such was "won't go" (no
va).

I agree, common sense should be the guiding factor, but common sense is
rapidly becoming such a rare commodity now I doubt you can find it in
some places.