F17 vs. Pentium 4

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 7 01:36:38 UTC 2012

On 2012/04/06 19:05 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade

> Verrrry interesting.
> It seems that yum doesn't know about it either.
> So far as yum is concerned, it's just installing another boring package.
> I just hope that this mechanism doesn't hit the same wall.

>>  Just be sure that the first thing done after cloning is ensuring UUID and
>>  volume label on copy and clone do not match, and that on the clone fstab and
>>  Grub's menu are matched to the clone's location. Also, a typical cloning
>>  process does not clone Grub. That invariably must be done separately. Failing
>>  the fstab&  Grub menu post-cloning steps would almost surely result in damage
>>  to the F15 source, if not complete destruction, once is upgrade is begun.

> cp /dev/sdb17 /dev/sdb27
> wouldn't get the first sector of the partition?

You can't clone a partition with cp, only files. Better to use something like
"rsync -av --exclude 'lost+found'", and still you wouldn't have a partition
clone, but only a complete filesystem copy, which _is_ the kind of clone you
want for this purpose, as long as it isn't performed using a currently booted
OS as source. Also there is software specifically made for cloning like you
need. I do all my cloning with DFSee, which isn't free, but is multi-platform
executable, and compatible, meaning among other things I can run it any time
I want without a reboot first.

The part of Grub that initiates boot isn't in the filesystem though. Grub's
files will get copied, but it still needs to be installed to the clone if it
is to be used by the clone for booting.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/