[Test-Announce] Fedora 17 Beta Release Candidate 3 (RC3) Available Now!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 01:57:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-09 at 12:42 +0100, Piscium wrote:
> On 9 April 2012 07:21, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you have actual window frames on the dialogs in question? Sometimes
> > this can happen when no WM that firstboot can actually work with is
> > present on the spin - you just get unmanaged windows.
>
> As far as I remember there were no frames, but I am not sure.
>
> I booted into my F17 test partition, ran firstboot as root, and the
> window frames were there and I could not reproduce the issue.
>
> I tried to have a more realistic firstboot experience by editing
> /etc/sysconfig/firstboot and removing the line RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO, but
> that did not work, it still went into the login screen. It might have
> something to do with systemd. Its firstboot file has a line that says
> that type is one shot. Is there a way of tricking systemd into
> rerunning firstboot despite being one shot? Or maybe one shot does not
> mean what I think it means?

One shot doesn't mean what you think it means.

firstboot employs a belt-and-braces method of disabling itself - to get
it to fire again you have to turn it on twice.
=) /etc/sysconfig/firstboot is one place, you found that, but you missed
the other: you have to re-enable it as a service. So, in the Systemd
Age:

systemctl enable firstboot.service

that should do the trick.