Cannot add FreeBSD entry to grub 2

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 11:55:01 UTC 2012

> /etc/grub2.cfg should be a symlink to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
> You should really add your custom menuentry to
> /etc/grub.d/40_custom (careful, you have typo in your
> "menuentry" keyword). Then you should run:
>
> # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
> and it should appear in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.
>
> It works in my case.
>

> > I can boot FreeBSD by typing c at the menu, and
> >
> > grub>    set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
> > grub>    chainloader +1
> > grub>   boot
> >
> > and it would work, but I would prefer to have the entry
> and avoid
> > doing this every time.  I have run
> > # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> >
> > It does nothing to add the entry.  I have looked
> here:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2
> >
> > but am at the same place.  I also want to remove
> rhgb and quiet from
> > the grub entry, I did it manually in
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg but
> > running the command above restored it back :(
>
> Edit /etc/default/grub first.
> --

@Adan & Kamil,

editing /etc/default/grub and removing quiet and rhgb allow me to see all the services running :)
Thanks I did not know this.

Also, I did not catch the 'typo' its supposed to be menuentry :)

[root at acer-aspire-1 grub.d]# cat 40_custom
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply
type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to
change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menentry "FreeBSD 9.0" {
    insmod part_msdos
    set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
    chainloader +1
}

# sed -i 's|menentry|menuentry|g' 40_custom
and running
# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

did the job!  Thanks for all your help.  I was upset that I could not get it done right.

Regards,

Antonio