Imagemagick dependencies that don't seem to be in the F17 dependency report

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 15:36:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 07:52:22 -0700, S (stan) wrote:

> These are dependency errors I get when I try to update to the latest
> version of ImageMagick.  I don't see them in the branched report, so
> thought I would report them.

http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/ImageMagick

There is ongoing work on publishing upgrades of ImageMagick, which are
ABI incompatible with earlier releases. It's not clear to me why rebuilds
of dependencies are missing, but it seems some package maintainers don't
respond, and the entire [co]-maintainer setup to do such rebuilds is lacking.

> <rant>
> Just for curiosity, what would I file an RFE against in order to fix
> this sort of thing.

Perhaps there is an existing ticket already. ;)

> Why couldn't the old and new version of the
> library hang around at the same time?

For multiple versions of some software to be installable in parallel, it
would be necessary to resolve conflicts in the packages *and* rename
either package, so the new one does not replace the older one. This can
result in a lot of work, which isn't worth effort. Especially not if the
old release suffers from vulnerabilities. You don't want to keep it.
You want to replace it quickly.

> And it would need some kind of package function to clean up
> duplicate packages when they are no longer being used.

Which would be simple, since RPM's "Obsoletes" could do that already.