serious Python-2.7.2.x86_64 crash

Rob Healey robhealey1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 20:19:36 UTC 2012

Dear Adam:

> Greetings:
>
> Major crash!  Please fix before releasing Fedora 17....
>
> Here is what I received on my terminal window regarding this crash...
>
> [Frog at FartingSalmon gep-026]$ pysetup run sdist
> running sdist
> running check
> invalid Python installation: unable to open
> /usr/lib/python2.7/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

That's not a crash. That's a third-party tool making an apparently
unreliable assumption about what files will be present where in a
typical Python installation.

python-libs contains $libdir/python2.7/config/Makefile . I suspect
either you don't have python-libs installed, or the script you're
running is erroneously assuming that all distros use /usr/lib even on
x86_64 installs. If yours is an x86_64 install, this is likely the
source of the problem; you should ask upstream of whatever 'gep' is to
fix their script to look in /usr/lib64 when appropriate.

I do have python-libs installed and yes it is the 64bit version, so it
makes sense that it would not be in the /usr/lib/python2.7 directory!

For the time being, I created a symbolic link from
/usr/lib64/python2.7/config to /usr/lib/python2.7 ...  This may not be
the best idea or way of handling it, but it does work!

I will write the upstream version of Distutils2 to get a fix...

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey