Default GNOME screenshot behavior is incorrect?

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Sun Apr 15 13:29:00 UTC 2012

As far as I can tell, the default behavior of GNOME's screenshot
functionality is to silently save a copy of the screen shot in a file
within ~/Pictures.

This strikes me as non-intuitive, incorrect behavior. How is the end
user supposed to know where the heck the picture was saved? There's no
pop-up telling him/her where to look for it.

I seem to recall that in previous GNOME releases, a window would pop up
asking what you wanted to do with the picture -- copy it to the
clipboard or save it to disk. This is far preferable behavior to the
current behavior. If popping up a window is not an option, then I'd say
that a default of saving the image to the clipboard, rather than to a
file, would make a lot more sense, because (a) it's what certain other
operating systems we could name do, and (b) the user doesn't have to go
hunting for it.

I suppose you could say that the new behavior resembles what iOS does on
the iPhone, iPad, etc. when you take a screenshot, but the difference is
that everybody who has an iPhone uses their "Pictures" app at one time
or another and therefore knows where pictures are stored, whereas I'm
sure there are plenty of people (including me) who never look in
~/Pictures on Linux.

If the screenshot /must/ be saved into ~/Pictures, then I'd say that it
should be saved there /and/ copied to the clipboard.

What do others think about this?

   jik