Inadequate sound device control

Jonathan Kamens jik at
Sun Apr 15 13:32:27 UTC 2012

I finally uninstalled the long-orphaned gmixer RPM when I upgraded to F17.

I clung to gmixer for far longer than I should have because as far as I
could tell, it was the only GUI which gave me granular access to sound

I've searched in F17 since uninstalling gmixer, and as far as I can tell
gmixer is /still/ the only GUI which gives granular access to sound

In particular, I would like to be able to control things at this level:

Except (a) the alsamixer curses interface is hardly one that's easy for
random users to find, and (b) even in alsamixer, I have to hit F6 and
select my sound card before I see the level of granularity shown above.

In any case, instead of being able to adjust settings at that level, the
GNOME system settings give me a single output volume slider and a single
input volume slider.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to make the system settings give
me access to the whole shebang and I'm just missing it?