Python discrepancies...

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sun Apr 15 18:27:00 UTC 2012

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 00:18:17 -0700
Rob Healey <robhealey1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Could anyone explain why there are so many discrepancies between
> Python-2.7.2-12 and Python-3.3.02?

[snip]

> Of course, I do not know if this is a bug or not, but I though that I
> would present it here first?

What about this do you consider a bug?  If you built the package that
is failing, wouldn't that imply that *you* did something incorrectly?

> I am not talking about about how much more there are in
> Python-3.3.0a2...  I am talking about the architecture???  In 2.7.3,
> which was packaged by Fedora, has the correct architecture of x86_64.
> Python-3.3.0a2, which was compiled by me, has the architecture as
> 32bit ...

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer what I
think it is.  The Fedora package for python 2.7 x86_64 installs itself
to the proper locations for x86_64.  The Fedora package for python 3.2
installs itself to the proper locations for x86_64.  Both in F17.

The package you built, is partially installing to /usr/local.  This is
the default for most raw source on the web.  *You* have to change the
configuration, usually with a setting in configure, if you want it to
install elsewhere.  The Fedora packagers usually do this.  Perhaps you
could download the source RPM for the python 3.2 package from Fedora
F17, and tweak it to compile your payload (the tarball for python 3.3)?

If I've missed your point completely, apologies.