old TCs/RCs downloads - do you need them?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Apr 16 16:16:08 UTC 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:07:33 -0400 (EDT)
Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:

> Usually all the old test and release composes are available there:
>
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/
>
> Recently it was wiped clean. After a few people asked on
> #fedora-admin, the latest composes were added back. However, there
> seems to be a policy to delete all old composes (even the latest
> ones) once a milestone is declared GOLD. It means the gold composes
> are unavailable for several days until they are officially published.
>
> The rationale for this policy was bandwidth/storage concerns and
> (quoting dgilmore) 'to build up anticipation for the release'. The
> first part doesn't seem to apply anymore, at least if I understood
> nirik correctly.

Some history here:

In the past we mirrored this content to serverbeach01. It had a small
amount of disk space, so we needed to clean our old TC's/RC's pretty
often or it would run out of disk space.

In the further past when we started staging testing content on alt and
it was a seperate machine, we would get times where a new TC/RC would
be uploaded and so many people hit it that actual QA/Rel-eng folks
wouldn't be able to get it, the BW on the machine was simply swamped.

We now have download-ib01 as our mirror of that content, which has lots
of space, so that constraint is mostly gone. Also, alt is gone and now
we just have this content on our regular download boxes. BW has
increased a great deal since then as well, so I have not noticed
problems with TC/RC's sucking up all our BW. (which is not to say it
won't happen).

kevin