Inadequate sound device control

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 11:04:30 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 19:48 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 04:23:31PM -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> > On 04/15/2012 04:27 PM, stan wrote:
> > >A thought on this.  I'm not that familiar with pulseaudio, but some of
> > >these settings *are* available in the pavucontrol application.  It is a
> > >separate package you can install, called, strangely enough, pavucontrol.
> > >There are other pulse control applications, and they might have more
> > >adjustments, but I'm not familiar with them.
> > I tried pavucontrol. I could not find any evidence that it had
> > access to these settings.
>
> 'yum search pulse' shows, among many other things, these:
>
> paman.x86_64 : Management tool for PulseAudio
> paprefs.x86_64 : Management tool for PulseAudio
> pavumeter.x86_64 : Volume meter for PulseAudio
>
> Maybe some of these will do what you desire?

None of them would. PulseAudio is at a higher level than ALSA and does
not actually provide any kind of interface (user-interfacing, or API)
for controlling individual ALSA mixer channels as Jon wants to. It's not
what PA is _for_. PA's take is that if you want to control individual
ALSA mixer channels, use an ALSA mixer. GNOME's take is they don't want
to write an ALSA mixer. So if you want a graphical ALSA mixer...find one
and use it. GNOME doesn't consider themselves to be in the business of
providing one.