old TCs/RCs downloads - do you need them?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 11:15:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 10:16 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> We now have download-ib01 as our mirror of that content, which has lots
> of space, so that constraint is mostly gone. Also, alt is gone and now
> we just have this content on our regular download boxes. BW has
> increased a great deal since then as well, so I have not noticed
> problems with TC/RC's sucking up all our BW. (which is not to say it
> won't happen).

Even if it did, deleting old TCs/RCs seems like no kind of solution to
the bandwidth problem. Either demand for old TCs/RCs is pretty low but
non-zero (which I think is most likely to be the case), in which case
the BW demands shouldn't be a problem. Or demand for old TCs/RCs is
high, in which case maybe we'll have a bandwidth problem, but deleting
the old TCs/RCs is hardly a good solution: all you've done is pissed off
all the people who, for whatever reason, needed an old TC/RC. =)

I guess maybe, though, we could try and highlight the delta ISOs a bit
more for people who download lots of TCs/RCs to try and alleviate any
kind of bandwidth strain? I've certainly found them useful.

To answer Kamil's initial post - I think the use cases he cited are good
valid ones. I've certainly used old TCs/RCs for regression testing
before ('was this broken by noloader, or was it broken before that? I
know, just download TC1 and see whether it works...')