firewalld configuration

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 15:32:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 12:51 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 17 April 2012 12:20, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Frankly, when I found VNC being blocked was inhibiting my beta
> > validation testing, I couldn't make head nor tail of the firewalld
> > command line stuff so I just turned it off and went back to the static
> > firewall. Progress!
>
> Same here. I'm now just running without a firewall as I couldn't
> figure out the magic incantation to Make It Work(tm).
>
> I'm amazed how it's installed on Fedora 17 by default and so broken /
> unfinished. Surely there was a feature page for this?

There was, and a long-running FESCo debate about whether to accept the
feature. For the latter, see the FESCo meeting logs from around Alpha to
Beta time (it got accepted as a feature quite late). For the former, see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/firewalld-default . The
description of the feature states "system-config-firewall in it's
current form will also be replaced", but provides no more detail. It
links to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD , which states "The
configuration tool firewall-config is the main configuration tool for
the firewall daemon." and lists, under the Fedora 17 entry in
'Development Phases', "Finalize firewall-applet and firewall-config " -
clearly, that didn't actually happen.

twoerner's statement that firewall-config isn't done yet is to be found
at
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-March/164865.html .
I don't think we've had an update since then.

firewall-applet appears to exist, but I'm somewhat confused as to
exactly what it's supposed to achieve. I'm not sure if it's working
entirely as intended in GNOME Shell.