grubby vs. grub2-mkconfig

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:03:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:49:46 +0200 (CEST)
Adam Pribyl wrote:

> The only reason I know is, that "people tend to modify grub.cfg manually",
> but with grub2 this is plain wrong anyway. Why do we support this messy
> setup then?

Because the reverse is true - requiring a tool to modify grub.cfg
is plain wrong, modifying it manually is the only way to go. What
we should do is get rid of all the template files and grub2-mkconfig
and just ship grubby. (One of the prime reasons grub replaced lilo
was that you didn't have to remember to run some stupid tool after
editing your grub config, yet here is grub2 with a stupid tool
again - even stupider because it isn't actually necessary).