Move from /media to /run/media/$USER

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Apr 17 19:54:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 18:28 -0400, Al Dunsmuir wrote:
> > This behavior messes up a bunch of scripts I've written that assume the
> > external USB drive "MyBackupDrive" will be hooked up as
> > "/media/MyBackupDrive" no matter who's logged in when it's plugged in.
> > Phooey.

That ain't all that will get hosed.  Wine has been confused about
optical drives for awhile now and won't be getting better with this
additional change.

> Deferring  things until first logon only makes sense if there actually
> is  a logon.  That is an unwarranted design assumption  - too many "it
> must be a single user desktop" assumptions/bias.

I think this change is a wonderful option.  Especially as the work on
true multi-head gets closer to being useful.  In that sort of scenario
it will be great.  But have to agree that it isn't the typical use case
and should not drive the choice for the default behavior.

If something like this is going to work for everyone there should be a
way to pick on a per device or port basis how the device should be
handled.  So the system optical drive can be assigned to the user on
seat 0 or be hard assigned to show up at a constant location.  The USB
ports on the hub with the second user's keyboard and mouse go to that
user's desktop, etc.  And then you could reserve a USB port or two for
the system, to always give consistent names to the backup drives.

Since the vast majority of systems are single user machines or servers
the old UNIX ways should be the default since they work best for those
typical usages.