Move from /media to /run/media/$USER

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 20:12:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 14:54 -0500, John Morris wrote:

> If something like this is going to work for everyone there should be a
> way to pick on a per device or port basis how the device should be
> handled.

There is, and has been for decades. It's called /etc/fstab . Really,
seriously: whether we were on automount or gnome-mount or hal or
DeviceKit or udisks or udisks2 or something else I've successfully drunk
out of my memory, the answer to 'how do I make it get handled some way
other than the automounter's default' has _always_ been 'put a line
in /etc/fstab which explains what you want to happen'. (The exception, I
think, is that KDE didn't properly respect all fstab settings, at least
at some point in history; I don't know if that still holds). udisks2
does not change this. It doesn't change the format or function
of /etc/fstab. If you want things to happen differently from how udisks2
does them by default, express this in /etc/fstab, and udisks2 will
respect it. As it has for decades, fstab has options that handily
express 'mount this at boot', 'never mount this automatically', 'mount
this in this specific location' and so on and so forth. If you don't
think udisks2 is correctly respecting a setting in /etc/fstab, I believe
this should be considered a bug and reported.

I've mentioned it elsewhere in this thread, but if you need a reliable
way to identify a specific removable storage device in /etc/fstab, you
can use the /dev/disk/by-* directory tree and this will be interpreted
just fine - you can create an fstab entry
for /dev/disk/by-label/SomeDiskLabel and any disk with that label will
be mounted in the way specified, or for /dev/disk/by-uuid/SomeUUID and
any disk with that UUID will be mounted in the way specified, and so on
and so forth.

> Since the vast majority of systems are single user machines or servers
> the old UNIX ways should be the default since they work best for those
> typical usages.

I don't think anyone would contest that /etc/fstab is a very old UNIX
way of doing things. =)