No way to add a new app launcher from Gnome 3.x GUI?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 05:46:43 UTC 2012

Perhaps it's time for bed for me, but apparently there is no way to
manually add a new app launcher from the Gnome 3 gui? is that possible?

This page here (describing Ubuntu and Gnome3)
http://bloggezmoy.com/2011/05/17/how-to-add-an-application-to-the-gnome-3-application-launcher/
details the manual procedure of copying an existing .desktop file and
editing it by hand (great! user friendly!) -sarcasm-
or
it tells users to run 'alacarte' (which, see previous thread from me to
this list, doesn' t work).

If an OS GUI like Gnome3 were to behave intuitively to the rules of modern
GUIs, I' d say that if I go to the "Applications" view of Gnome 3, go to an
empty space, and right click, there should come up a new pop-up menu with
one of its options dubbed "Create a new app launcher".

But no, right clicking on empty space doesn't do diddly squat in the Gnome
3 Applications screen.

:-/

Am I missing something obvious?
FC