new Release Criterion proposal: kernel+initrd boot

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 10:57:17 UTC 2012

> On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 08:42 -0700, Brian C. Lane wrote:

> > > I'm okay with it, but I'm CCing bcl to give him a chance to
> > > object if
> > > anaconda team feels that supporting PXE in Alpha is unnecessarily
> > > ambitious...
> >
> > Yes, I think Alpha is too early to require PXE to work. I'm fine
> > with
> > Beta. In general I think we need to be fairly loose with Anaconda
> > and
> > Alpha -- as long as there is some way to boot the installer I'm
> > happy.
> > We currently don't see alot of installer testing in rawhide so the
> > period before Alpha is too short to expect everything to be
> > working.
>
> That sounds reasonable to me. Kamil, do you hate making it Beta?

Sigh. Let's make it Beta.

Currently there is some movement to make Fedora Branched and all its milestones available in Red Hat's automated testing suite. That uses PXE. Once that is done, I expect more pressure to make it work in Alpha.

Another reason why I'm not thrilled is that I perform a lot of testing on a machine that doesn't support booting from USB. So I use PXE, because optical media are PITA.

But if anaconda team says it's hard for them to make it in Alpha, let's make it Beta then.