automatically mounting physically attached media (was Re: Move from /media to /run/media/$USER)

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Wed Apr 18 16:15:00 UTC 2012

OK, so I took a look at the GNOME "Disks" utility, which I was finally
able to get to run without crashing, and as far as I can tell, it
doesn't resolve my main complaint with the new F17 behavior.

Yes, I can use the Disks utility to configure removable devices, e.g.,
my DVD drive, to mount on startup. But then it isn't going to mount in
/run/media/$USER, because there's no user logged in yet.

My concern, which I've explained repeatedly and I believe is quite
legitimate despite all of the flak I've taken for it here, is that the
behavior of a removable device that is already inserted when I log in
should be exactly the same as the behavior of a removable device that I
insert after logging in. As far as I can tell the Disks utility can't
achieve that. If I'm wrong, please explain to me exactly how I should
configure, e.g., my DVD drive in the Disks utility so that if there's a
DVD in the drive when I log in, it will be mounted under
/run/media/$USER automatically.

(And, while you're at it, explain to me why this shouldn't be the
default behavior, which I've yet to see anyone here explain, as far as I
recall.)

  jik