F17 Beta DVD install options

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Apr 18 17:05:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 12:22 -0400, David wrote:
> On 4/18/2012 11:11 AM, Dan Mashal wrote:
> > My system is secure. Thanks for your concern.
> >
> Fedora 14 is EOL since one month after Fedora 16. Fedora 15 will be EOL
> one month after Fedora 17. A long time with no security patches of any
> kind for any package for you.
>
> I know the type. 'I use Linux so I'm ten feet tall and bullet proof'.

Maybe he is like me and has a machine that he can't upgrade.  One of my
machines has an HPT374 IDE RAID controller in it that hasn't worked for
years.  Last distro I cleanly loaded was RHEL4 (Whitebox4 actuallu)  I
managed to brutally hack the kernel in Fedora 10 with an old out of tree
driver from Highpoint (GPL) to have something a little newer and did it
again for F11 but a major kernel update along that line changed
something I couldn't manage to fix.  So that is where that machine stays
until I finally toss the 4x200GB drives in it for a pair of larger ones
connected to the onboard SATA plugs that should be supported.

It is behind a NAT on a home network so I don't worry too much about it
getting hacked.  Firefox is almost certainly vulnerable but you rarely
see active attacks in the wild against Linux browsers, especially if you
don't hang out at dodgy sites.  And if it happens, guess that will be
the universe saying it is finally time to stop being a cheap bastard and
buy some new drives.