automatically mounting physically attached media (was Re: Move from /media to /run/media/$USER)

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Wed Apr 18 19:06:54 UTC 2012

Three use cases in which in my opinion the behavior is clearly incorrect:

Case 1:

 1. Put DVD in drive while logged in. DVD is mounted.
 2. Reboot computer and log back in. DVD is not mounted. It should be.

Case 2:

 1. Put DVD in drive before logging in. DVD is not mounted.
 2. Log in. DVD is not mounted. It should be.

Case 3:

 1. Put DVD in drive while logged in. DVD is mounted.
 2. Log out. DVD stays mounted under /run/media/$USER. It should have
    been unmounted when you logged out.
 3. Log back in as another user. DVD is still mounted under
    /run/media//previous-$USER/. It should have been remounted under
    your $USER.

jik