automatically mounting physically attached media (was Re: Move from /media to /run/media/$USER)

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Apr 19 01:38:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 16:48 -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> On 04/18/2012 04:45 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > It shows up in the file manager; it's not mounted.
> Why not?
>
> In F16, it was mounted.
>
> In Windows, it's mounted.
>
> In Mac OS, it's mounted.
>
> Why should F17 behave differently from F17 and from every other
> mainstream OS people are familiar with?
>
> What is the justification for this different, unexpected,
> non-intuitive behavior?

The arguments are really going downhill here. I'm not overly interested
in wading into this, but I'll just say that whenever we do something
automatically, somebody will get mad. In the past, auto-mounting (and
even just automatically sniffing) of media has been construed as a
security issue..

Anyway,
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gvfs/commit/?id=e30a67f3215d829e95ee7e358c67af7d67635fe8