F17: Empathy: Windows Live XMPP fails connecting

Pedro Francisco pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 10:40:33 UTC 2012

Empathy connecting to Windows Live with XMPP access configured via
Online Accounts configuration fails with "Connection error", or
"Authentication error" on subsequent tries.

Referenced relatively to another distro in
http://blogs.gnome.org/xclaesse/2011/12/23/connect-msn-with-xmpp-on-ubuntu-oneiric-11-10/
«
Tom says:
05/04/2012 at 10:41

This used to work great, but it seems MSN over XMPP hasn’t worked for
a while now. The MSN developer forums suggest that the November ’11
specs have changed in March ’12, and old apps won’t work if they don’t
implement “see-other-host” or somesuch. I note the last updates were
some weeks before that on the PPA.
»

Will fill a bug report if I don't find this bug already filled in BZ;
will post here the bugzilla link after I do it.

Partial log empathy "debug" log:

_end_element_ns: Received stanza
* features xmlns='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'
    * mechanisms xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'
        * mechanism
            "X-MESSENGER-OAUTH2"
_end_element_ns: Received stanza
* features xmlns='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'
    * mechanisms xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'
        * mechanism
            "X-MESSENGER-OAUTH2"
(...)(...)(...)(...)
(apparently all messages are duplicated?)
(...)(...)(...)(...)
auth_failed: wocky-sasl-auth.c:270: Authentication failed!: Client
aborted authentication.
auth_failed: wocky-sasl-auth.c:270: Authentication failed!: Client
aborted authentication.
connector_error_disconnect (connection.c:1772): connection failed:
WOCKY_AUTH_ERROR_FAILURE (#6): Client aborted authentication.
connector_error_disconnect (connection.c:1772): connection failed:
WOCKY_AUTH_ERROR_FAILURE (#6): Client aborted authentication.
gabble_roster_close_all (roster.c:1692): closing channels
gabble_roster_close_all (roster.c:1692): closing channels
(...)

--
Pedro