gnome-shell cpu usage, audio, opengl - work fine only as root

Saulo Bonfim saulo at veniceplaza.biz
Thu Apr 19 11:01:24 UTC 2012

Hi all, first post to the list.

Using FC17, recently updated (ran yum update yesterday) on a i3 2.13GHz
HP G62

First issue: as of its installation (3 weeks ago) noticed a high cpu
consumption of the gnome-shell process (circa 30% even without moving
mouse/typing) when logged in as a normal user. If I log in as root, the
issue disappears (gnome-shell cpu usage near zero). Both started with
startx, same .xinitrc.

Checked glxinfo and got some differences:

user's glxinfo:
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)

root glxinfo:
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR

I must say that I know little about llvmpipe, fallback mode, so don't
know if it's related or not. Apologize me if it doesn't make sense.

Second issue: no audio as normal user, only a dummy output sound card in
System Settings, even if detected correctly as of lspci output:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
High Definition Audio (rev 05)

Again, if I log in  as root and run startx, it shows me correctly the
internal audio - analog stereo duplex - in system settings, and it works.

Don't know if this can be a permission issue, but the fact is that
everything works under root, but I don't wanna use this dirty way.

Appreciate any help, and sorry if I did not provide any other basic
information.

Best regards

Saulo