screen crashes in F17 alpha/beta

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Apr 19 16:54:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:07:44PM -0400, Brian Johnson wrote:

> On both machines, whenever I try to run screen as me (I'm the only non-root
> user on the boxes), an error flashes too quickly to tell what it is and
> then the message [screen is terminating] shows in the xterm. It also does
> the same thing if I try it in gnome-terminal

If something "flashes" then most likely you can save that for later
by running

   screen 2>/tmp/screen.error.report

If not enough then redirect both stderr and stdout to some file and
examine results.

> If I try it as root in either xterm
> or gnome-terminal, screen works without a problem.

Sounds like a permissions problem somewhere (pty access?).  What about
selinux?  Did you try to check what audit has to say?

   Michal