automatically mounting physically attached media (was Re: Move from /media to /run/media/$USER)

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Apr 19 17:37:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 16:48 -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>> On 04/18/2012 04:45 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> > It shows up in the file manager; it's not mounted.
>> Why not?
>>
>> In F16, it was mounted.
>>
>> In Windows, it's mounted.
>>
>> In Mac OS, it's mounted.
>>
>> Why should F17 behave differently from F17 and from every other
>> mainstream OS people are familiar with?
>>
>> What is the justification for this different, unexpected,
>> non-intuitive behavior?
>
> The arguments are really going downhill here. I'm not overly interested
> in wading into this, but I'll just say that whenever we do something
> automatically, somebody will get mad. In the past, auto-mounting (and
> even just automatically sniffing) of media has been construed as a
> security issue..

How hard would it be to make the behaviour configurable?

Should removable devices attached before boot be mounted before login?
Should removable devices attached after boot be mounted before login?
Should removable devices attached during a session be mounted automatically?
Should removable devices mounted during a
session be mounted in a user-specific location?

The behaviour for non-removable devices,
e.g. partitions, is somewhat configurable.
Which partitions are mounted at boot time is
determined by options given during install.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily