Grubs really aren't very attractive...

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 16:10:48 UTC 2012

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:53:25 -0600 (MDT)
Bodhi Zazen wrote:

> The default is to install grub2 to the MBR. It will detect you OS and allow you to select which OS to boot. the grub2 os-prober is much better and, with the complexity of configuring grub2, most people go with the defaults.

The os prober is utterly worthless. It hard codes the paths
to the kernels installed in the other OS which existed at
the time you installed that instance of grub2. If you
boot the other OS and get a kernel update, the OS that
was installed last (and now owns the MBR) knows nothing
about the new kernel unless I manually run grub2-mkconfig
again after booting back into that kernel. That is not
better or simpler.

If I have a single stand alone grub partition that chain loads
everything else, then each of the other kernels can do
their updates and manage their own boot loader and
everyone is happily independent. (Or was till GRUB2 decided
it was too good to be chainloaded in the ordinary way
and must use the new and improved multiboot instead).