Whatever happened to the speedy Fedora boot?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 16:15:18 UTC 2012

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:51:45 +0200
drago01 wrote:

> "yum install systemd-analyze" and then "systemd-analye blame" should
> tell you whom to blame.

It should, but it doesn't always. I'm not sure what counts
as "blame" in its eyes. A simpler technique is sometimes to
just turn off the kernel rhgb parameter and see if it is spending
a vast amount of time waiting on something as the boot
message scroll past.

Old sysv init scripts with malformed "pidfile" comments
are one thing that I have definitely seen take forever
to timeout (systemd is apparently waiting for the pidfile
mentioned in the comment to be created, and if it isn't
created the timeout feels like a couple of hours :-).