DKMS and virtualbox kernel modules in F17
Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Apr 23 06:48:28 UTC 2012
On 04/23/2012 01:26 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> As it is only a minor irritant, I've put my low priority stack.
Maybe it was low on my priority...but it bugged me so I worked on it and "resolved"
the issue at least when it comes to the Guest Addons.
The "problem" was that even if you had dkms installed, when you ran
VBoxLinuxAdditions.run it didn't set things up for updates by dkms. So, here is what
First I had the 3.3.2-1.fc17 kernel installed.....
1. Install dkms and rename the binary
2. Installed the Guest Additions by running VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
3. Rebooted and checked that all works well.
4. Looked in /var/lib/dkms/ and found there was no vboxguest directory.
5. Run /etc/init.d/vboxadd setup
7. /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest directory now created with a
8. Run "yum update" and the 3.3.2-8 kernel was install.
9. /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest directory now contains a kernel-3.3.2-8.fc17.i686-i686
10. Reboot and all the new modules were loaded as expected.
I feel that subsequent kernel updates work now work correctly.
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke
of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage
More information about the test