DKMS and virtualbox kernel modules in F17

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 23 07:08:02 UTC 2012

Joachim Backes <joachim.backes <at> rhrk.uni-kl.de> writes:

> I'm running virtualbox from virtualbox.org. Did somebody try to use the
> dkms for rebuilding the virtualbox kernel modules? I have problems to
> perform this: each time I install a new kernel, dkms does not update the
> vbox kernel modules. I have to run manually "/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup".

You can install the modules for each of the installed kernels using dkms
install. For example, if you currently have kernels 3.3.1-5.fc17.x86_64,
3.3.2-1.fc17.x86_64, and 3.3.2-8.fc17.x86_64, and "dkms status" shows no
vboxguest modules for any of them, you can install them with the command

dkms install vboxguest/4.1.12 -k 3.3.1-5.fc17.x86_64 -k 3.3.2-1.fc17.x86_64 -k
3.3.2-8.fc17.x86_64

(assuming your vbox version is 4.1.12). You can do the same on the host with
s/vboxguest/vboxhost. This is necessary to have the modules for all installed
kernels after updating to a new vbox version. Kernel updates should
automatically trigger corresponding module builds on either the host or guest. I
don't remember if I had to do anything special in the beginning, but it's
working perfectly for me now.