setting default monitor on multi-monitor setup

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 14:27:28 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-04-21 at 18:57 +0800, Frederic Muller wrote:
> On 04/21/2012 11:53 AM, Tommy Pham wrote:
> > I'd like to have my VGA as primary and DVI as secondary.  I can't seem
> > to adapt [1] to make fit my hardware above.
>
> Create a text file which will go in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and will start
> with 2 digits, something like 01-my-screen-setup.
>
> Here is what's in mine which you can easily adapt:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"DVI-0"
> 	Option		"Primary" "yes"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"DisplayPort-1"
> 	ModelName	"AOD 36"
> 	Option		"Right" "HDMI-0"
> 	Option          "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
> 	Option		"Rotate" "left"
> EndSection

You can also do this within the X session in the Displays control center
applet, analogously to how it works on OSX.  Run the applet and mouse
over the black "top" bar in the UI.  Notice how the tooltip says "Drag
to change primary display"; you can drag it among the displays in the
applet to switch which display should be primary.

This doesn't get applied to gdm time, yet, which is a missing gnome
feature.

- ajax