F17 >> Rawhide...

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 00:06:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 07:40:04PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 06:31:46PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

> > > I am tired of getting dracut shell....
> >
> > For me, mostly because of a fix for Sentelic mousepads, I just did a net install a little while ago--booting with
> > F17 net install then changing packages so that it just pulled in rawhide. I  chose a minimal installation, and after
> > that, updated, made sure that it wasn't looking for NetworkManager, then installed basic X, that is, server, xterm,
> > dwm window manager, xinit and drivers for intel graphics and synaptics.  It seemed fine, but all I was testing was
> > the touchpad--for what it's worth though, networking was fine, X was fine--but DWM, not Gnome, and I have no idea
> > how the different DE's are doing in rawhide.
> >
> Addition--well, just did another install the same way, and this one is won't boot.  First, it couldn't find a font that was specified in
> grub, then it couldn't find disk by uuid.  So, ignore the stuff above, seems that it's at least partially broken.

Oh....kay.  THe problem seems to be with grub.  After a few quick test installs, as long as I boot it with Ubuntu's grub, it was fine.
I haven't really been following the grub discussion, but I've found, more than once, that Fedora (and others) have trouble with UUIDs far
more often than using UUIDs saves me any time, and this includes servers.  In addition, it's asking for a font that is apparently not there.

It seems to me that a simple bootloader should be more robust and have far fewer parameters, especially when said parameters seem
unnecessary.  All it has to is boot the thing--it doesn't need to pick a font.

Oh well, hopefully, as this is just F18 rawhide, it will be fixed soon.

Anyway, if you do follow my earlier advice, and install it, see if you can get something else to boot it.

Once booted, I go back to my earlier opinion, at this early date, running nicely for me.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: The school paper is edging on depressing lately. Have you
guys noticed that?
Oz: I don't know. I always go straight to the obits.