Fedora-17 Irritations

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Tue Apr 24 00:07:52 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Just wondering....  Do you think it would be a better idea to go the "custom" route
> as explained in the link you've provided?   There is a chance that the files being
> modified may at some point get overwritten by an update.

I would recommend creating a custom locale, but it will still need to replace
the existing entry.  You can't easily create a completely new country for
example.  What you could do is:

localedef -i en_GB.custom -c -f UTF-8 en_GB.UTF-8

Note that there are other encodings, but I think it should use the UTF-8 one by
default.

Another issue is that the locale-archive file comes with the glibc-common
package, so if that package is upgraded, it seems likely that you will need to
run the command again to add your new locale settings.  I don't know if it is
rebuilt automatically during the package install or if it comes pre-built and
will replace any changes you have made.