block on name

george2 george2 at spanmail.net
Fri Apr 27 18:55:26 UTC 2012

I present a request to not move to release F17 until the release name
is changed in the released code.
I appreciate the comments public and private but it remains that this
name may do considerable harm.

There is not formal criterion for a blocker bug. So I appeal to this
group, as the last in the community, to present their decision that
the release is not yet ready, for humanitarian reasons.
You would block if there was a flaw in an important technical element,
but Fedora is more than technology, it is a community.

Most who communicated with me believe this is not the place to raise
this request. That iis too late in the process. The name process was
discussed by the "board" and they declined to address the concerns
raised and defer to address naming and word meaning and connotations
at a future release. If this had been flushed-out when the warning was
raised, it would not have impacted the placement of the objected-to
name in so many places and documentation and release notes. I was not
part of those initial dialogs.

Some have said to me that it cannot be stopped because "legal" or some
other group did not object so it is ok for Testing to assume ok. But
also note that few women are involved in the approval processes. The
banking crises was in part formed by many individuals sensing
something wasn't right but did not take any personal responsibility to
act.

Consider please:
   if one headmaster says the release is inappropriate to use in the
teaching or desktop situation;
   if one religious leader objects to its use in that the supporting
material for the name says "this is your new god"
   if one advocate of equality for women speaks up
   if one government department says its use violates discrimination
in the workplace laws
   if one parent objects
        and it is picked up by the press....

I don't know the future, but I think that releasing with this name has
the potential to be a destroyer of the momentum that the contributors
to Fedora with the support of RedHat have worked to build.