[criteria update] Interfaces

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 23:12:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 15:59 +0200, Petr Schindler wrote:
> Because of changes in new anaconda [1] and after short discussion with
> Chris Lumens, I propose to change this final criterion [2]:
>
> 'The installer must be able to complete an installation using all
> supported interfaces '

> 'The installer must be able to complete an installation using all
> supported interfaces (graphical and VNC for F18)'
>
> Reason (according to Chris): (Current criterion) again references
> multiple interfaces. For F18, it's really only going to be graphical and VNC.
>
> Please, if you have some suggestions or notes reply to this thread. If
> there won't be any objections I'll make changes during next week.
>
> Petr Schindler

I'm not sure the change is really necessary...the text says 'all
supported interfaces'. If what's officially 'supported' for newUI is
graphical, VNC and possibly text, then the criterion is correct without
modification.

Practically speaking I read the criterion as meaning that all offered
interfaces must work. So the onus here is really on the anaconda team to
do something fairly simple - don't allow users to trigger any modes that
won't work. Only the working modes should be exposed via any kind of UI
choice, kernel parameter, kickstart parameter etc: none of those things
should let you kick off an installation using an interface that won't
work. CCing clumens for that.