is it possible to have better support for Optimus?

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Tue Aug 7 07:46:37 UTC 2012

Most mid-range or higher laptops on the market (at least when I shopped
for a laptop last year) seem to have Nvidia Optimus graphics.  These
don't run well on Fedora out-of-the-box - at least on my laptop the fan
is constantly running because the Nvidia processor is constantly on.
I don't want the Nvidia processor running - ever (so far).

In the past I've used the acpi_call module, which is somewhat flakey
and a hassle.  Then I switched to Ubuntu for a bit, largely since Bumblebee
(https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project) worked on Ubuntu.  Now there is
Bumblebee for Fedora, so I switched back to Fedora.

However, it's still a hassle that Bumblebee is an external project
and there is no Fedora package.  A recently kernel update disabled
Bumblebee because of some version incompatibility.  I was able to
re-enable it, but this is not something a typical user would be
able to do - or even know about.

Any chance Bumblebee could be packaged for Fedora?  Or is there some
other recommended solution?  (I know I should offer to package it
myself, but I have no relevant kernel - or packaging - experience.)
--
	--Per Bothner