[criteria update] Interfaces

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 23:20:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 10:27 -0400, clumens at redhat.com wrote:
> > I'm not sure the change is really necessary...the text says 'all
> > supported interfaces'. If what's officially 'supported' for newUI is
> > graphical, VNC and possibly text, then the criterion is correct without
> > modification.
>
> Seems like we're splitting hairs here but sure.

The criteria are pretty much about splitting hairs, correctly =)

> > Practically speaking I read the criterion as meaning that all offered
> > interfaces must work. So the onus here is really on the anaconda team to
> > do something fairly simple - don't allow users to trigger any modes that
> > won't work. Only the working modes should be exposed via any kind of UI
> > choice, kernel parameter, kickstart parameter etc: none of those things
> > should let you kick off an installation using an interface that won't
> > work. CCing clumens for that.
>
> Right now if you try to do a non-graphical installation method, the
> install halts with a message saying only graphical is supported.  With
> the work going on with text mode right now, I'm not likely to do
> anything more to block people from doing text mode.  It looks like
> that'll just be wasted effort before too much longer.

Sure - it doesn't really need to be consistent 100% of the time
throughout the cycle, just it'd be good to be consistent at least at the
time of Beta and Final releases. Alpha is more a 'bonus points'
situation. And the current situation as described above sounds good
enough to me per the existing criteria in any case. Thanks.