Getting a working Rawhide installation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 8 05:37:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 15:17 +1000, Amit Saha wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 14:34 +1000, Amit Saha wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I want to setup a functional Rawhide installation for some testing.
> >> What is the recommended approach to get one? The nightly builds seem
> >> to be failing.
> >>
> >> I am fine with a fresh install or an upgrade, whichever works.
> >
> > The standard method is to install F17 and yum distro-sync to Rawhide.
> > You'll want to make sure you get selinux-policy 3.11.1, earlier builds
> > apparently break boot. I don't know if there are any other showstoppers
> > at present. Note, we branch for F18 and start building Alpha TCs quite
> > soon.
>
> Thanks. I will give it a shot.  And see what happens.

For the record, instructions at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide#Yum_update_from_previous_release (though actually that says it's not a good method...I disagree, and the text seems pretty old). I'd say it boils down to:

yum install fedora-release-rawhide
(disable F17 repos in the graphical tool, enable Rawhide repo)
yum distro-sync

and watch the pretty, pretty fireworks...