First experience with F18-ALPHA-TC1

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 13:42:11 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> > It is a test compose of the Alpha. Alpha comes before Beta which
> > comes
> > before Final. For each of Alpha, Beta and Final, we do test
> > composes and
> > then release candidates. The first test compose of the Alpha is by
> > definition the earliest and most likely-to-be-broken non-automated
> > compose we ever create for a given release.
>
> In fairness, many projects choose not to abuse nomenclature like
> this.
> Seeing announce messages saying ALPHA HAS GONE GOLD makes my skin
> crawl,
> too.  Alphas are not gold anything.
>
> It would be far more honest to just call this alpha 1.

Sorry, I don't get it - is the problem calling Alpha gold, as it's
definitely not gold final release. What's the difference between
Alpha and Alpha 1? You mean TCX should be Alpha X (and RC, "final"
Alpha?). It was already stated that TCs are not for general public,
so in this case it would be non-sense to release Alpha XYZ :)

R.