KDE 4.9 F16?

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 17:49:11 UTC 2012

<kvolny at redhat.com> wrote:
> > yes, it's a shame that someone is unwilling to upgrade to F17
> > :-)
> >
> > K.
>
> That is a pretty snotty remark

have you noticed those three characters ":-)" just after the
sentence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon#Creation_of_:-.29_and_:-.28

> and very unwarranted.

not that much ... see below:

> F16 is a currently supported version of Fedora until about
> November.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Philosophy

Releases of the Fedora distribution are like releases of the
individual packages that compose it. A major version number
reflects a more-or-less stable set of features and functionality.
As a result, we should avoid major updates of packages within a
stable release. Updates should aim to fix bugs, and not introduce
features, particularly when those features would materially
affect the user or developer experience. The update rate for any
given release should drop off over time, approaching zero near
release end-of-life; since updates are primarily bugfixes, fewer
and fewer should be needed over time.
This necessarily means that stable releases will not closely
track the very latest upstream code for all packages. We have
rawhide for that.

> If you are the owner of a single machine then a re-install is
> tedious but not too time-consuming every 6 months. If you are
> the admin for a dozen machines or more then re-installing all
> of them every 6 months is a pretty tedious business - and like
> quite a few other people I re-install usually annually on the
> majority of Fedora machines for that reason.

1) I've never needed to do a reinstall of Fedora machine - the
yum path has worked for me always, with one exception being the
usrmove which I had to fix manually ... YMMV

2) I believe there are some management tools for those who have
12 or more machines that make upgrading them all as easy as
upgrading one of them

3) I really doubt if your work reinstalling the machines
justifies calling a shame the fact that the developers don't do
their additional work in upgrading the released distros (in fact,
I doubt this update should go even to F17(*)) and pushing the
change also on other people who think that having to cope with a
new version of software on their machine is a pretty tedious
business

(*) also considering the fact the developers provide the kde-
testing/-unstable repos

> For quite a lot of other people a rolling release distribution
> makes less work when maintaining a significant number of
> machines - and indeed I am moving my machines progressively
> over to a rolling release distribution for that reason. I now
> get to be more up to date than current Fedora on those
> machines running the rolling release distribution. So even if
> I was running F17 I would not be as up to date as Archlinux
> for this particular package set.

good for you - but then I really don't understand why would you
like Fedora to be just like Arch when you can (and do) install
Arch itself?

yep, I'm sad to see people leaving Fedora, but then the question
is what to do better to motivate the people to stay - but if it
is such feature then I doubt if we should change ... where would
be the freedom then if all the distros would use the rolling
updates model, where would go those who dislike Arch?

> We all have choices - and I asked a simple and perfectly valid
> question - your kind of reply can lead to bad feeling on a list
> like this!

hm, I though I replied to

"shame about F16 though!"

... I don't see any indication that *this* is "a simple and
perfectly valid question"

but I'm no native English speaker so I may have gotten things
wrong

K.

--
Karel Volný