Intel Graphics: SNA testing report with xorg-x11-drv-intel >= 2.20

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 17:13:32 UTC 2012

On 08/23/2012 06:27 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 15:40 +0100, Pedro Francisco wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Pedro Francisco
>> <pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm testing SNA on an Intel Graphics card (...)
>> Does anyone here who is using Gnome fallback has lack of screen
>> refreshing (using Intel SNA)?
>>
>> Context: on Skype chat window, I start typing, and frequently whatever
>> you type isn't painted. Moving the window forces the refresh and the
>> text is effectively there.
> I don't have any near-term plans to work on SNA, certainly not until
> upstream is confident enough in it to make it the default.  If it works
> for you, great; it breaks, you and upstream get to decide what to do
> with the pieces.
>
> - ajax

Probably unrelated but similar issue, though _without_ SNA (having an
intel 4500MHD, using rawhide): sometime after mid-july I have started
suffering severe redrawing issues, see [1] and [2]. Unfortunately I
spent a few weeks working with the discreet graphics, so I missed the
version after which issues started appearing. I am now gradually testing
older xorg-x11-drv-intel packages to try to identify when breakage
started, I suspect it is sometime after
xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.20.0-1.20120718.fc18. Issue appears only after some
time, and is definitely an intel issue (switching to the AMD discreet
card it works fine). Also, GTK applications are affected much more
severely than Qt ones. I was hoping to gather more information before
filing a bug, (at least which version causes the breakage) but since
this was brought up, here it goes...

Sandro

[1] http://n.ethz.ch/~smani/download/1.png
[2] http://n.ethz.ch/~smani/download/2.png