Needing a simple way to create a custom disk layout for F18/Alpha/TCx

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Aug 28 00:59:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 05:10:54PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> >>Did you possibly miss the review partitioning thing?  Are you
> >>using TC3?
> >>It's definitely there.  64 bit, TC3 from the 17th, I think,
> >>netinstall.
> >
> >>Click that and I see the disk, click Continue.
>
> One note on this: this option probably doesn't do what you think.
>
> In oldUI, you could pick any one of the 'autopart' options, and
> check a box marked 'Review and modify partition layout'. Then
> anaconda would run the autopart algorithm, come up with a layout,
> and then display the custom partitioning screen with the proposed
> layout, allowing you to accept it, reject it, or adjust it.

What I did get was an option to let Fedora create it for me.  I tried that
to see what it would do--on a 10 GB disk, with 8 GB of RAM, it used 7.5 GB
for swap.  I was looking for a minute or two, wondering why / was so small,

> This checkbox in newUI is named something very similar to the
> checkbox in oldUI that I just described, but it does not actually do
> the same thing. It doesn't run any of anaconda's autopart algorithms
> and then go into custom mode to show you the result: it just goes
> straight to custom mode.

I am not sure what you mean here--it did take me to a thing where I had a
choice to either create or have Fedora create it for me.   (See above.)

Do you mean that there's another step to get to an auto create?  Because it
was definitely there.  (But not chosen by default).

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Do you remember that demon that almost got out the night I
died?
Willow: Every nightmare I have that doesn't revolve around academic
failure or public nudity is about that thing. In fact, once I
dreamt that it attacked me while I was late for a test and naked.