Proposed release criteria and test case adjustments relating to artwork and self-identification

Pratyush Sahay pratyush.a.sahay at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 04:33:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>wrote:

> * Any component which prominently identifies a Fedora release version
> number or phase (Alpha, Beta, Final) must do so correctly

With the changes in anaconda UI, this criteria makes alot of sense to
prevent confusion regarding version number / phase, anaconda being one of
the first things a user gets to see. Also, this criteria would attempt to
prevent inconsistencies w.r.t. version number shown at different places.

> The first of these might be a bit over-clever - we could just say "must be
> different from any previous release", but, perhaps over-thinking things, I
> wondered if maybe at some point in the future we'll want to use a 'retro'
> wallpaper for some reason, revive the Fedora Core 1 artwork or something.
> Which, with enough of a time gap, obviously wouldn't create any confusion.
> So I tried to allow for the possibility.

A dash of history / nostalgia .. sounds great !!

> The second one, I think, frames the confusion problem better: it's not
> only artwork that can create confusion. The new anaconda UI identifies the
> Fedora version and phase with a text string - that's not 'artwork', but if
> it's wrong, it could certainly confuse things. plymouth in text mode also
> specifies the Fedora release. There are probably others I'm not thinking of
> right now. I don't see why the 'confusion' criterion shouldn't cover
> _anything_ that could plausibly cause confusion, there's no reason to
> restrict it to artwork. The 'prominently' weasel-word gives us an out to
> avoid slipping the release just because it's wrong in some obscure text
> file somewhere that no-one ever reads.
>
> I propose we modify the Final criterion a bit, just to update it for the
> more restricted modern artwork era:
>
> * The proposed final Fedora artwork must be included and enabled by
> default for all graphical bootloaders and the desktop background. All
> Fedora artwork must be consistent with the proposed final theme

+1 for the modification.

--
Regards,
Pratyush Sahay